Thursday, June 29, 2006

Welcome To Honduras, Watch Out For The Spiders

Blue, red, yellow, "Salva Vida", "Pollo Rey", "Shasta Cola", "Ferreteria El Toronjal", "Dia Especial De Asamblea".

I remember how Johnny used to read every sign he saw. Only Jehovah knows how he would pronounce these, and that's one reason I'm here.

The futbol field is green, the stadium blue, red and yellow, the mountains are green and black, the sky is white and blue, and the stage is white with sun flowers.

The speakers voice echoes off the walls and into the city like that of a futbol sports announcer. He turns to the brother he is interviewing and asks about hurricane Catrina and its affect on our brothers and sisters in the States. Before the brother could finish telling his experiences tears began to cool the heat rising from his cheeks, taking this small group of Jehovah's people in Honduras and making them a part of the world wide loving family carrying Jehovah's name.

Appreciating this experience the lightning claps along with the rest of us. Up go the Umbrellas.

By the way can someone please send me and umbrella? ;-)

As the rain abides the colors are enhanced by the billions of tiny water mirrors covering everything. The humidity does a wave through the crowd.

Remembering his days of honey, biscuits, and heat this little Floridian laughs at natures attempt to take away his happy mood.

When the rain begins again a thing not seen in this stadium before happens. Umbrellas start moving down from the upper covered sections to the lower open ones. These umbrellas seem to have a mind of their own as they find those most in need.

Last night Rondal had one of his first looks at poverty and I had a sad reminder. On our way to one of the only Burger Kings in Honduras we saw barely clothed children sleeping on the street. Some looked as if they were already dead. Knowing only Jehovah could correct such things didn't stop us from slipping them enough money for a small meal. We knew that this small amount would only keep them alive one more day in this system. I think we gave just to ease our own saddened hearts.

Note to self: If ever you happen to be in a very hot place sit behind the group of older women. They fan themselves so much it's like you have your own personal slaves waving you with palm branches.

Have we let the cold heart of this system of things turn our service to Jehovah luke warm? Strange how physical heat can cool off our desire for service.

The not-so-itsy-bitsy spider crawled on Rondal's bed.
Down came my foot on his big fat head.
Out came the sun and dried up all his guts.
And the not-so-itsy-bitsy pieces were carried away by ants, the end.

Rondal and I walk out of Barefoot Charlies at around 7:00 p.m. The sun shot one last desperate beam of light at us before setting the sea ablaze.
Feeling the moistened sand beneath his feet, Rondal questions, "Did it rain while we were in there?"
Looking at the dark clouds rolling in from the east, I shoot back a cocky, "Seems that way."
"We still need to get that Coke."
"Then go get it!"
Our laughter at my pathetic attempt at sarcasm is cut short as angry cloud monsters begin peeing on us. In direct defiance of the monsters I march on. Rondal, however has another mission more pressing than securing goods for later. He must save the precious Laptop of Dell. At this point we split company. He taking the path and I continuing on the sand road.

Just then the flood gates from heaven open and one of the cloud monsters hocks an enormous lugie right on me! My body is completely soaked but my soul is dried by the flaming determination in my eyes. I trudge through the flooded streets as those less determined cower under roof and umbrella. They look at me with eyes that are cheering me on to whatever foolish mission I must be indepted to.

Stepping with my head down into the store I slowly turn my blue gaze up, looking at all those hiding from the rain with disappointment. With great dignity I let myself drip puddles of water through out the store, so those left behind can remember I was there.

Procuring the goods, and paying the 78 Lempiras, I head back out, but not before I turn my coy smile to all those faces who believed I would not step back into the storm from hell. With my chest out I walked triumphantly back towards the apartment. The drugie guy who gives me a, "Respect!" every time I pass looks up from his covering with surprise and even more respect as I walk by. Just then a pair of donkeys are washed away to their death by a newly formed river. ;-)

I step to our door and knock to show the mighty warrior had returned. No answer. I knock again. Still no answer. As I wait I put my hands in my pockets where I find the only keys to the apartment that I believed Rondal to have. I feared the worst but went inside to get a drink. A few minutes passed and in walked Rondal. Looking at me he says, "Sorry I didn't come straight back, but since it was raining so lightly I went to the internet cafe' to sit and watch the sprinkling rain mix with the sun set."

If you listened carefully you could hear in that very moment the sound of my ego delating.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jackie said...

Isn't it a blessing to be able to serve where there is a greater need. Despite the many challenges like assemblys in the rain it is so nice to be a part of it. Keep up the good work. Jehovah will bless you.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

Seems it's the rainy season. Flash floods, public transportation, and chaos. He, he, he. It's a great adventure though isn't it?

7:51 PM  
Blogger beyondthestairs said...

Jacksprat,
Aren't you the mouse hater? lol, Ya, the asseblies here are ther best. Although the extremely bright colors with beer advertisements all over them are a little much.

Melinda,
Umbrellas are a funny thing. A friend of mine wants to make disposable ones.

Nik,
:) you know me well enough to know it is SUCH a grand adventure! Wish you were here to share in it with me.

Misty,
What international convention are you going to?

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home